Soccer Legends – football management inspired by Captain Tsubasa, Final Fantasy Tactics
Ever since playing Level-5’s Inazuma Eleven, the concept of a football game blended with RPG elements has become a concept that is appealing to me. I wouldn’t say I am the biggest fan of football – I enjoy the sport occasionally – but I love RPGs, so blending the two together is a sure-fire way to get my interest in seeing what it could do to the RPG genre.
Soccer Legends, created by the newly founded indie game company, Digital Lightning Studios, is touching the same area with its cross-genre gameplay of a soccer management, turn-based strategy and RPG elements.
The Kickstarter page states that the game takes the best facets out of board games, like turn-based strategy, well-balanced gameplay, a quirky style, 3D environments, and gorgeous special effects. Influences for the title include Captain Tsubasa (a football manga and anime that started in the 80s), XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Final Fantasy Tactics and Bloodbowl, a fantasy football board game created by Games Workshop.
The campaign has only just started, with 31 days to go, Digital Lightning Studios are hoping to raise $100,000 to develop the game for Windows, Mac and Linux. A port to PS4 and PSVita are planned if the Kickstarter campaign can hit $220,000.
The game’s features include:
- Turn-based game using the boardgames hexagons system.
- Special cards usage during the match to create a strategy.
- Classic football manager to improve the team.
- Team Mode and Legend Mode
- +50 different skills to boost team players.
- Unique database that allows each game will be different, with different players and teams.
- Each player or teams will have a unique behavior.
- Special techniques with special cinematic effects (like Captain Tsubasa)
- Everything will affect the match: weather, facilities, players’ moral… You’ll have to keep everything in mind to use the best strategy.
The video below is the Kickstarter pitch for Soccer Legends that shows off the art style and menus of the management aspect. At the moment, no gameplay for the strategy part is being shown in video form, but hopefully they will reveal that in coming days, so we can get an better idea on how the game will play.